Labor Day is observed on the first Monday in September each year and honors the hard work made by the labor force in America. The holiday began in the late nineteenth century when labor activists pushed for a federal holiday to recognize the achievements that workers have made to America’s strength, prosperity, and well-being. If you’re ready to celebrate the social and economic achievements of America’s laborers, then you should start planning for your 2021 Labor Day party!
On this bank holiday, many businesses are closed, and the kids are out of school. This makes it the perfect time to plan a gathering of friends and family for the long weekend. At Tent Guys, rentals are filling up fast, so start planning out your Labor Day bash now!
A Brief History of Labor Day
Labor Day celebrations tend to bring to mind barbeques, spending the day out on a lake, and being around friends and family.
Before it was a federal holiday, Labor Day was only recognized by labor activists and certain individual states. New York State was the first to introduce a bill to recognize Labor Day, but Oregon was actually the first to pass it, on February 21, 1887. In 1887, four more states – Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York – also passed laws creating Labor Day as a holiday. As years passed and more states continued to adopt the holiday, Congress and President Grover Cleveland finally passed an act on June 28th, 1984 to make the first Monday in September a legal holiday, Labor Day.
From parades, picnics, and parties, the celebrations for Labor Day are rooted in the first proposal for the holiday, which suggested the day should be observed with a street parade to celebrate the strength and spirit of trade and labor organizations, followed by a festival for the recreation and amusement of workers and their families.
American labor has continued to raise the nation’s standard of living, contribute to the greatest production globally, and bring us closer to our country’s ideals of economic and political democracy. This Labor Day, celebrate the force behind our nation’s strength, freedom, and leadership – the American worker!
Don’t sweat it planning your Labor Day party – Tent Guys has you covered!
Let us dress your event to get your guests into the spirit. Labor Day parties are all about spending time with your friends and families, so oftentimes, simplicity is best! Less is more when it comes to casual events like Labor Day parties. Think: white decorations, American-themed decorations, and creating a party space that leaves room for groups to gather to talk, play games, and enjoy each other’s company. Center the party around the connection with your guests!
Labor Day weekend is the last big holiday of the summer and is a popular weekend for cookouts, weekend getaways, and pool parties. Celebrate the last few days of summer and start planning a Labor Day party for your friends, family, and neighbors with Tent Guys.
Why rent a tent for your Labor Day celebration?
If you’ve ever hosted an outdoor party before, you know the imminent stress that comes with checking and double-checking the weather in the days leading up to the party. Will it rain? Is it going to be in the 90’s and scorching hot? It’s difficult to trust Mother Nature, especially with unpredictable North Carolina summers! Tent rentals are a perfect way to shelter you from the rain and sun, but also add a fun and festive element to your celebration!
Our tents are all frame tents with white canopies. Frame tents have a framework of aluminum or steel pipes that support the fabric roof. The fabric roof of a frame tent doesn’t require stakes to keep tension, meaning that our tents allow flexibility in their placement and proximity to other structures and buildings. Staking in the grass or gravel is included in the pricing. If your event or venue requires tent staking into alternative anchors (i.e. concrete or asphalt, that will incur additional charges. Your event specialist at Tent Guys will include those costs in your estimate.
Tent rentals provide a space for your guests to gather, whether that’s serving as the main party space, a reprieve from the outdoors, or as a food or dancing area. A tent can be a shaded, cool space that’s much more enjoyable to sit and eat with one another. Tents can also provide privacy and ambiance, as they offer the opportunity to choose a certain style of tent, accessories for tents like walls, windows, and lighting, as well as sheltering decorations to really tie the party together. An open venue or backyard can feel vast, while a tent creates a smaller, more defined space to bring guests together.
In our Tent Catalog, you’ll find a broad range of tent sizes to meet your tent rental needs.
Provide games, sports, and activities for all ages.
Whether you’re an adult enjoying the day off or a kid happy to be out of school or enjoying the final days before returning to school, games to fill the night will bring everyone joy at a Labor Day party.
Set up a volleyball net outside, throw out some KanJam for some friendly competition, or bring out the corn hole boards. Throw together team games like tag football, tug of war, or three-legged races.
If you’re aiming for a more elegant evening, consider hiring a local musician to provide music entertainment or encourage your guests to dance the night away.
For kids, a bonfire with roasting s’mores, jars to catch and release fireflies, or arts and crafts tables with little cleanup like rope or beaded friendship bracelets or colored sand jars are perfect to include at your party. You can go all out with a cotton candy machine, a popcorn machine, or even a snow cone machine. The kids at your party are sure to have a blast when they see portions of the party meant especially for them – but don’t be surprised if these are just as thrilling to your adult guests!
Bring the laughs by setting up tables indoors and outdoors for card games like rummy, poker, or good, old-fashioned Go-Fish.
Light up Labor Day with Tent Guys event rental lighting.
While the summer days are still long, your party doesn’t have to end just because the sun goes down! We offer a variety of lighting rentals that can match your party’s aesthetic and atmosphere.
Curtain Twinkle Lights
· 9.8’ x 9.8’ small fairy/twinkle lights
· 8 different modes
Twinkle lights are perfect to hand from the walls of your tent or alongside the fence in your backyard.
· 50 ft strand with LED Edison Bulb bistro lights
Using our planter boxes, market lighting can transform any space into a gorgeous night beneath the stars! They provide sufficient lighting and immediate ambiance, making them a very popular rental choice.
· LED lights used to create columns of light up walls toward the ceiling
If you’re planning to break out the dance floor, floor uplighting is the perfect way to light up the dance floor! Check out Tent Guy’s staging and flooring options if you’re interested in a formal dance floor.
Stay cool with air conditioning, fans, doors, and sidewalls.
Depending on the time of day and location, and the consideration of the age and medical needs of your guests, you may want to consider cooling and power or your event. While a portable air conditioning unit can cool down a tent somewhat, you may be better off with strategizing airflow through your sidewalls and doors. Mounted fans are also a great option for air circulation and flow in your tent.
All of our sidewall and door options are white vinyl and can be used with any of our tent frames. Sidewalls and doors can be used strategically to encourage airflow or influence the flow and path of your guests. Our event specialists can help you decide what sidewalls work best for your tent rental.
Labor Day Food and Drink Inspiration
Break out the grill, get it smoking, and take full advantage of your Labor Day party to serve lots of grilled dishes. Some ideas for your Labor Day party menu:
· Grilled chicken, steak, and vegetable kabobs
· Rib-eye steaks
· Hamburgers and cheeseburgers
· Foil-pack grilled sweet and spicy chicken wings
· Lemon shrimp skewers
· Double patty veggie burgers
· Mixed fruit salad
· Italian Pasta salad
· Grilled corn on the cob
· Tomato, mozzarella, and basil skewers
· 7 layer dip
· Chicken salad sandwich bites
· Strawberry arugula salad with sweet lime vinaigrette dressing
· DIY ice cream sundae bar
· Seasonal fresh fruit pies
· Banana pudding
· Frozen Sangarita (alcoholic)
· Strawberry Daiquiri
· Dark ‘n Stormy
· Mimic Mule Mocktail
· Sherbet Party Punch (Sprite, Hawaiian Punch, topped with Sherbet ice cream)
Labor Day Party Themes
Everyone loves a good theme to get dressed up for, and Labor Day is a holiday you can absolutely plan an outfit for. Since Labor Day is all about celebrating American patriotism and having fun, consider the following party themes:
· Whiteout Party: There’s an unofficial rule in the fashion world some of you might not be aware of – you’re not supposed to wear white after Labor Day. While some only apply this to white shoes or white pants, others believe that all white items are a big faux pas after Labor Day. If you haven’t heard of this rule, you’re probably with the majority of the population that ignores this rule entirely. Either way is fine! A Whiteout party theme is a fun way to poke fun at the “rule”! Ask your guests to come decked out in all-white outfits. Luckily, all of our decorations at Tent Guys come in white as well, so your party decorations can absolutely follow this theme!
· Red, White, and Blue Party: Incorporate the colors of the American flag and ask all of your guests to wear red, white, and blue! Your decorations for the party can center around American flags – think stripes and stars! Streamers, balloons, paper lanterns, and other accessories are perfect for this theme.
· Comfort clothes or denim party: Take Labor Day as a true day off by shrugging off any business casual clothes, jumpsuits, or scrubs, and relax in your favorite comfy clothes! Whether that’s leggings, your favorite pair of denim or cargo shorts, and tanks and t-shirts, this party theme is all about enjoying your day off.
· Fancy dress: Everyone loves an opportunity to get dressed up and celebrate with their friends and family. Make for a perfect photo opportunity by having a formal Labor Day party! It doesn’t have to be a black-tie affair, but think of clothing that makes your guests feel put together, confident, happy, and ready to smile!
Feeling inspired? Get started on planning your Labor Day party now!
Tent Guys has many years of experience in helping you create timeless and invaluable memories. Our professionals are here to assist you in creating a one of a kind Labor Day party that you and your guests will always remember. Give us a call to learn more about our rentals and brainstorm even more ideas to throw an unforgettable Labor Day party!